Re: [Ekiga-list] I get "Could not register. Method not allowed" error. What does it mean?

On 13/07/12 10:33, L. Rahyen wrote:
I'm trying to use Ekiga as SIP client on the same computer I have
asterisk running. I do not have router or firewall in my local
network.

Ekiga does not work for me at all. I created SIP account in it, as my
Name, User and Authentication User I have entered my SIP login, as
password - my SIP password, as "Registrar" - IP address of my
asterisk SIP server (192.168.1.2) - the same one I use in my hardware
SIP phones. And I get "Could not register. Method not allowed"
(visible in Edit->Accounts).

On start up, after some time, I get message "Could not register
sip:myname@192.168.1.2", and then "Ekiga did not manage to configure
your network settings automatically. ... Please see [link] for
instructions". But the link is about configuring routers which I do
not have. I do not have firewall either. Just network switch and
gateway, some other computers and hardware SIP phones in my local
network. And this is probably irrelevant anyway, because Ekiga and
Asterisk are on the same computer.

I use default 5060 port in sip.conf. I have created separate account
in sip.conf for software phone. If I try to use this new account in
hardware SIP phone, it works. But Ekiga does not. If I ignore the
errors and try to dial some phone number (local or global - does not
matter), I get "Remote user is busy" immediately.

If I try to enter in the Registrar field 192.168.1.2:5060, only error
I get is "Ekiga did not manage to configure your network settings
automatically ...", and no other errors. But the result is the same:
I get "Remote user is busy" immediately when trying to dial a
number.

Asterisk log, even in the most verbose mode, does not show any
attempt to register (or anything else) when I run Ekiga.

Since it looks like there are plenty of people who use Ekiga as SIP
client, I assume I'm doing something wrong. I cannot figure out what
exactly by myself, so I will appreciate any help.

The error "Ekiga did not manage..." is shown because your network is connected to Internet through a NAT which is not (well) supported by ekiga. However, you do not want to connect to Internet, so this message is irrelevant in your case. You can avoid it by manually checking Disable/Enable network detection in Preferences.

Now, you say you have a registration error (the call error is normal, since you are not registered). The only way to see where the problem is is to send us a -d 4 output, see http://wiki.ekiga.org/index.php/Debugging_Ekiga#How_to_get_a_debug_output. "Method not allowed" simply means, as far as I know, that asterisk answers with an error which translated into English gives exactly that ("Method not allowed").

--
Eugen Dedu
http://eugen.dedu.free.fr