Re: [Ekiga-list] Ekiga 3.2.7: NOTICE: Could not send message

On Fri, Nov 18, 2011 at 1:14 PM, Martin Swift <martin swift is> wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 18, 2011 at 1:10 PM, Eugen Dedu
> <Eugen Dedu pu-pm univ-fcomte fr> wrote:
>> Please send a log when sending to a normal user.
>
> If you have a chance at some point, could you turn Ekiga on so I can
> capture these logs?

Sorry, email went to the wrong address. But since I'm writing, I might
as well add this:

On Fri, Nov 18, 2011 at 1:10 PM, Eugen Dedu
<Eugen Dedu pu-pm univ-fcomte fr> wrote:
> On 18/11/11 12:38, Martin Swift wrote:
>> Sending text messages returns the error:
>>  NOTICE: Could not send message
>> echoed in the message window and calling results in the message
>
> This usually means the other user is offline.  (In unstable version it
> really shows "Offline user".)

Thanks. I'm getting the same when calling or messaging my friend when
she's on-line.

>>  Call completed
>> in message bar below the status selector.
>
> You need to put somewhere the log for the call.

Not sure what you mean here.

>> This seems to be the same issue as reported here on the list nearly a
>> year ago and confirmed by another user in January of this year:
>>  <http://mail.gnome.org/archives/ekiga-list/2011-January/msg00014.html>
>> I've not been able to find the resolution to this issue, but some
>> emails are missing from the archives
>
> As far as I see that person has not sent the log.

I didn't see anything like that either, but a few of the messages in
that thread seem to be missing from the archives so I wasn't sure what
the resolution had been, if any. I simply mentioned this here to
provide what context I could in case it might help.

> The problem is that the other person is offline:
> 2011/11/09 16:51:38.407   0:15.584      Opal Liste...0xb283ab70 SIP     PDU
> received:
> rem=udp$86.64.162.35:5060,local=udp$178.19.49.71:14250,if=192.168.1.35%wlan0
> SIP/2.0 480 Offline
> CSeq: 4 MESSAGE
>
> In fact, sending message to 500 does not work.  This is not a normal user.

OK, I thought the Echo user was supposed to echo everything. If 500
doesn't even respond to calls, what exactly is it supposed to do?

> Please send a log when sending to a normal user.

Will do.

>> Of possible interest might be the fact that neither service contact
>> shows its status and the little bar-graphic under the status selector
>
> There is no status associated with 500 or 520, that is why their status is
> "not working".

Cheers, that clear up a lot.

>> shows nothing. I'm running Gentoo Linux (kernel 2.6.39 w/ Gentoo
>
> The bar-graphic is only during a call.  Indeed, this is counter-intuitive,
> since in phones it is used always, not only during a call...

Well, needn't be. I suppose that the connection quality depends on
both ends. Thanks for explaining that as well.

Thanks for the help. I'll be in touch with logs from a call and
message to a real user.

Cheers,
Martin