Re: [Ekiga-list] Nikolai Cassanova: Can anyone recommend a great residential sip phone

On Wed, 9 Mar 2011, Nikolai Cassanova wrote:

Hi Stuart, thanks for the reply and I wanted to know with ATA adapters how
do you aquire sip registration and keep it registered, with using ATA
adapter, would I have to then run my own asterisk/pbx setup, as my current

No, an ATA (Analog Telephone Adapter) works just like a SIP phone.  It
registers and keeps registered.

company into a voip phone network would be easy as i would just need an ATA
adapter or 2 and then have them connected to my router and then i would be
able to receive calls; or is it not that easy?

It is that easy (although sometimes knowing which user id for the SIP registrar
goes in which config field can be confusing on the setup - I don't know
why we need all those ids).

A SIP phone has just one piece, instead of a POTS and ATA, so is less
clutter.  But reusing POTS is nice too.

--
	      Stuart D. Gathman <stuart gathman org>