[Ekiga-list] Ekiga hopelessly slow...

I've been struggling with Ekiga for months now. I could connect to the echo
server and hear it speak to me, but the connection broke after the recording
finished. I was unable to solve the problem, even with the list's help.

Recently, I bought a new router in hopes of fixing the problem. I connected the
new device and launched Ekiga (for the first time in weeks). At first I thought
Ekiga had silently died but no, it just took it a very long time to load.
Roughly five minutes! When it finally did load it was unusable ... couldn't even
make an outbound connection.

So the question: what could cause Ekiga to take this long to load?

I'm using Mandriva 2010.2. MSec is running, and I suspect it may be involved,
as it likes to set hosts.deny to:
ALL:ALL EXCEPT localhost:DENY

I don't really know enough about msec or hosts.deny to be sure though. Anyway,
hopefully someone out there has seen this problem before and can make a useful
suggestion. Thanks!