[Ekiga-list] Comments for Msec and hosts.allow files Re: Ekiga hopelessly slow...

Hello  I did a little research (ie google ) and have the following links that may help your understanding. I apologize that my ramblings below are not clear and to the point. I am not an expert but I wanted to give you something to increase your knowledge and point you in a direction that you may solve this problem your self.
Make sure your router, will point incoming UDP and TCP ports to the IP number your computer is located at.  ie 192.168.1.100

#  ifconfig  eth0             command will tell you what IP number is for the ethernet interface that your computer is set to.

Description of Mandriva Security tool/   For testing might try level zero, or no security till you get Ekgia working first.   Then change security upwards, and test ekiga is still working.
Saturday night here on the west coast of the USA.   Hope you get a chance to test Ekiga this weekend.

Make use you have UDP ports and TCP ports directed to your computer if behind a NAT firewall.

Echo Test   sip:500 ekiga net

Call Back test number Audio and video

You can try if you are reachable from the world dialing this number: sip:520 ekiga net You will shorly be called by sip:500 ekiga net after dialing this Call Back test number. It support audio and video.

http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/Netgear/FVS328/Ekiga.htm

http://wiki.ekiga.org/index.php?title=Ekiga_behind_a_NAT_router&redirect=no

http://wiki.ekiga.org/index.php/Enable_port_forwarding_manually

You can find out your external IP address just opening http://www.whatismyip.com/ in your browser.

https://www.ekiga.net/index.php?page=services

http://wiki.mandriva.com/en/Tools/msec
http://dodonov.net/blog/2010/02/18/more-on-msec/

Sample hosts.allow and hosts.deny file from Virginia Edu.

Start with this entry describing  hosts.allow and hosts.deny file.  You can temporarily turn
off access control,  by renaming the files  cd /etc ;  mv hosts.allow hosts.allow.save ; mv hosts.deny hosts.deny.save
create a couple empty files.
touch hosts.allow  hosts.deny   {ie create empty files}

ping -c 3 he.net    (see if you can ping the hurricane electric webserver from your computer )
ping -c 3 ekiga.net  ( testing if you can resolve the ekiga.net host name to an IP number )

ACCESS CONTROL FILES

The access control software consults two files. The search stops at the first match:
*
Access will be granted when a (daemon,client) pair matches an entry in the/etc/hosts.allow file.
*
Otherwise, access will be denied when a (daemon,client) pair matches an entry in the/etc/hosts.deny file.
*
Otherwise, access will be granted.

A non-existing access control file is treated as if it were an empty file. Thus, access control can be turned off by providing no access control files.

MOSTLY CLOSED

In this case, access is denied by default. Only explicitly authorized hosts are permitted access.

The default policy (no access) is implemented with a trivial deny file:

/etc/hosts.deny: ALL: ALL

This denies all service to all hosts, unless they are permitted access by entries in the allow file.

The explicitly authorized hosts are listed in the allow file. For example:

/etc/hosts.allow: ALL: LOCAL @some_netgroup
ALL: .foobar.edu EXCEPT terminalserver.foobar.edu

from wb7odyfred ekiga net