Re: [Ekiga-list] SIP interoperability

On 02/11/10 10:00, palama inwind it wrote:
On Tue, 02 Nov 2010 08:35:40 +0100
Thierry Simonnet<t simonnet esiee fr>  wrote:

The blocking point is network configuration if you are behind an ADSL
box or a firewall.

Yes, this is exactly the problem they are unable to deal with, maybe better diagnostic messages and the possibility to change the configuration through the program could help.
Most windows users I know are not familiar with the command line so it is almost impossible for them to run ekiga -d 4, collect the debug output and mail it to the ekiga-list, most of them do not even know there is a mailing list.
Even if someone were able to suggest them how to reconfigure Ekiga for their specific ADSL box, a good knowledge of the file system, the ability to use a text file editor, and understanding the format of ekiga.conf would be required. This is not common among Windows users.
Sadly and often the efforts end up with the statement/question
"Your program doesn't work, why don't YOU use Skype?"

Hi Antonio, and glad to hear from you!

I completely agree with you. Unfortunately, I do not (yet) have enough knowledge in NAT and network access. Moreover, we need to know *precisely* what the error each person has, in order to either fix the error, or add a string explaining the error to the user.

Finally, the urgent thing right now is to make a new unstable release, so the regressions compared to the stable release are priority (in my opinion, it is what I work on).