[Ekiga-list] Recovering from apps hanging trying to use ALSA

> Date: Mon, 1 Mar 2010 22:12:29 -0500
> From: Christian Jaeger <chrjae gmail com>

> I've finally found out how to cure the problem where applications
> using sound like Ekiga (but also Twinkle, QEMU, ...) won't start
> anymore but just hang: they are blocking trying to get a SysV IPC
> semaphore. Honestly, I didn't expect ALSA to be using SysV IPC.
> Anyway, find the attached script which solves the problem for me.

That's nice, but you attached a .bin file, not a script or archive file.

Also, have you filed a bug report?  If this affects multiple applications, well, I don't know which program is supposed to fix it, but someone should.  What you described is a serious problem.