Re: [Ekiga-list] Recovering from apps hanging trying to use ALSA

Nope, I attached a script (using gmail, and I suppose that works as it
should). Where did you get the bin file from? It will be an issue of
the archival software if you don't manage to get the script out of it.

No I didn't file a bug report to ALSA yet. (Have you read that this
has been suggested to me already?) I haven't written about it to the
ALSA list yet because I had a second issue to write about, too, which
is also still pending. And my email to the Ekiga list was a little bit
heated, exactly because I was as pissed about it as you seem to be,
and bringing heat into something usually doesn't do much good if
people are already at their limits. Also, the script I posted (ask me
if you really cannot download it) solves the problem well for the
moment (as well as goes for a workaround), so it's an issue of knowing
about the script; ALSA changing from using SysV semaphores to a
different kind of locking *will* almost certainly take a long time
even if developers are convinced that they should move away from the
former, and then it will take more time to get into the linux
distributions, so that probably means at least a year+ of no solution
this way. Thus the only way to solve it short-term is by posting
scripts like mine in places where people most likely run into the
problem.

Christian.