Re: [Ekiga-list] Ekiga in Australia

On Mon, 14 Sep 2009 11:20:56 +0800 (WST)
Bret Busby <bret busby net> wrote:

> On Mon, 14 Sep 2009, Bret Busby wrote:

Bret,

> > I have Ekiga installed and setup, on Ubuntu 8.04, and have tested
> > it with a webcam, for making video calls, and, that is all okay,
> > but I don't know anyone else with Ekiga, for me to communicate
> > with, to try it for live calls.
I have the same problem,
Contact me offline if you want to run a test, then we can report the
results back here.

> > I am with Optus, with ADSL quota of somewhere around 15GB per
> > month. I notice that your email address shows that you are with
> > Bigpond.
> >
> > Without knowing what your quota is, I have no idea as to whether
> > you have the capacity for video calls (which was the main reason
> > for me getting the webcam and Ekiga installed, for communicating
> > with friends and relatives overseas).

I am running voip here and the voice part of it takes hardly anything
at all. The video will take a bit but should be well within peoples
byte limits if they have broadband.
We could test this too.

> >> From what I understand, if you use Ekiga to communicate with
> >> another
> > person using Ekiga, across the Internet, using video calls, no
> > charges apply (unless one party to the call, incurs charges for
> > exceeding the bandwith quota). If I am wrong in that, perhaps
> > someone from Ekiga, could correct me.

You might be correct, but what I am more interested in is making direct
sip calls IP-IP.

Brian