Re: [Ekiga-list] Ekiga website

[snip]

2009/5/14 Dotan Cohen <dotancohen gmail com>:
> I am a Skype user who has recently been introduced to Ekiga. Of
> course, I now have the task of convincing some of my contacts to use
> Ekiga [snip]

I just wanted to comment on the fact that unlike Skype,  Ekiga uses real
VoIP protocols. Skype, on the other hand, uses a proprietary protocol
that forces everyone to use Skype. If you use Ekiga, then your friends
doesn't necessarily need to use Ekiga. They can use any real VoIP
client capable of SIP or H.323, be it a softphone or a physical phone, like
ones from Cisco.

I really don't understand why anyone would want to submit to Skype, seeing
how they're more expensive than their competitors in many countries, and
cannot even provide connections to the "real" telephony networks in many
countries. Not to mention the fact that they use force to keep their
customers from choosing other service providers.

In my experience, once people are made aware of these issues, they're not
so hesitant about switching to real internet telephony services which are free
and also gives you the freedom of choice.

Good luck!

Jo-Erlend Schinstad