Re: [Ekiga-list] Error while opening video device

On Wed, Mar 4, 2009 at 8:33 AM, J. Paul Bissonnette <jpaulb eastlink ca> wrote:
> There is no finished package for Ubuntu yet. I down loaded the source files.
> I haven't compiled a program in so long, can't even remember how to do it.

First off, which version of Ubuntu? I imagine you've downloaded the
latest source for Ekiga.

I built 3.1.2 successfully (although not at first, I had to get a
number of needed dependencies) yesterday on Ubuntu Intrepid 8.10.

> In the ptlib-2.4.4 package
> configure: error: must have pthreads
> I have a package called pthreads installed

Well, it probably doesn't have the devel libraries installed.

apt-cache search pthread | grep dev:

gives libpthread-stubs0-dev, marked as automatically installed on my system.

ptlib needs flex and bison for compile-time dependencies, so let's get
that out of the way too:

$ sudo aptitude install flex bison

> in the opal-3.4.4 package
> this error occurs
> configure: error: C++ compiler cannot create executables

This error is unfortunately very misleading. It usually is hiding the
fact of something else missing, and the real way to find out exactly
what that is, is hidden in the configure output (config.log). Usually
there will be some other linker error (such as not being able to find
the C development files.

So first thing I'd do here:

$ sudo aptitude install libc6-dev build-essential

(build-essential needs to be installed if you're going to develop things).

> In the ekiga package have dependence problem
> checking for PTLIB... configure: error: Package requirements (ptlib >=
> 2.4.4) were not met:

The latest source (3.1.2) needs ptlib 2.6.0, and the one in the PPA
repository I was using for ekiga 3.0.1 on Intrepid is too old, so
might as well get the latest sources, including ptlib-2.6.0.

> All the other dependency issues were cleared up by installing the required
> dev packaged

I had to make sure the ekiga sources knew to get the various #includes
from /usr/local/include for ptlib & opal, by adding
--includedir=/usr/local/include to the ./configure command line. Just
another tip (otherwise it would try to link and compile with older
#includes).

--
thanks for letting me change the magnetic patterns on your hard disk.