Re: [Ekiga-list] Varying problems with sound output in gnome-2-26 Ekiga

Christian Jaeger wrote:
Trying to get more stable SIP authentifications and/or support for my UVC based webcam, I've recently installed gcc-4.4 from Debian testing (4.3.2 didn't compile it), and compiled ptlib-2.6.2.tar.bz2, opal-3.6.2.tar.bz2, and first tried ekiga-3.2.4.tar.gz but then went with the git "gnome-2-26" branch (because of a compiler error fixed there). This compiled without problems, but the resulting Ekiga would frequently give no sound output when connecting to echo services.

Hi Christian,

Please do not write on both ML an bugzilla. And on bugzilla write one problem per bug. An do not remove useful lines from e-mail when replying.

I call sip:500 ekiga net, but it seems ekiga.net prohibits too frequent usage of the echo test(?). When re-calling too soon, Ekiga turns the contents of the URL entry field into "pc:udp$ekiga.net:5060" and will never get to show the "Connected .. call duration.." message.

This is a known problem and really important.  Please be patient.

But, there is also a problem with sound not playing in many cases where I *do* have a "Connected .. call duration.." message on the screen. The problem does not go away even when waiting between calls (like a minute or so).

I noticed this problem too: newmessage.wav shows an error (but it works), the others not. Please be patient...

A sequence of connection initiations by me:

sip:500 ekiga net -> normal with sound
sip:500 ekiga net -> stays in pc:udp$ekiga.net:5060, i.e. does not get connection, I click stop
sip:441 sip diamondcard us -> silent, I click stop
sip:441 sip diamondcard us -> normal with sound

or with only using the diamondcard echo service:

sip:441 sip diamondcard us -> normal
sip:441 sip diamondcard us -> silent
sip:441 sip diamondcard us -> normal
sip:441 sip diamondcard us -> silent
sip:441 sip diamondcard us -> silent
sip:441 sip diamondcard us -> silent

But sound problems don't stop here, when I call my Diamondcard number using my mobile, Ekiga will pop up messages (one for each suppressed ring tone or so) even before I try to click on "accept", saying

    "Error while opening audio output device HDA Intel

    No incoming sound will be played.

    The selected audio device was successfully opened but it is impossible to write data to this device. In case it is a pluggable device it may be sufficient to reconnect it. If not, or if it still is not accessible, please check your audio setup.
    "

but in preferences I've set all three audio devices to "HDA Intel (PTLIB/ALSA)". Also sound has always worked without problems on this Laptop, and Ekiga 2.0.12 (from Debian stable) never had this problem.

I've then recompiled/reinstalled everything from SVN / Git, with the versions from the stable branches as given below, with the same results.

To summarize, there seem to be 3 separate issues, the first is with ekiga.net not accepting frequent calls of the echo service (and Ekiga not showing an error in this case), the second that about half the otherwise seemingly successful echo service connections are silent, the third that the ring tone is never given (but an error message instead).

Details:

Lenovo Thinkpad T61, core 2 duo, nvidia.

Versions:

Ekiga 44ebfd82f1a4254d3fda3de0871b9c62e7e7c842
ptlib opalvoip/ptlib/branches/v2_6 22848
opal  opalvoip/opal/branches/v3_6 22931

$ gcc-4.4 --version
gcc-4.4 (Debian 4.4.0-6) 4.4.0
$ g++-4.4 --version