Re: [Ekiga-list] New User Experience

> From: barf barfone serveftp net
> To: ekiga-list gnome org
> Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2009 09:49:42 +1300
> Subject: Re: [Ekiga-list] New User Experience
>
> Thanks for that, I'd be interested to know how you get on. Is that Ekiga
> V2 or V3 on the Ubuntu CD? Ubuntu has an installer to put the live CD
> onto a USB flash drive with persistent memory. If Ekiga will work of
> that, that would be very useful.
>
> I've just tried it on Debian Etch with similar results to Centos 5.1,
> audio but no video. In fact it did not even detect the camera as a
> camera only as a USB audio device even after installing V4L2.
>
> Barf

I'll check the version and report this after I get a chance to
see if Ekiga makes reliable connects with this Ubuntu distro, although
I am pretty sure others here have reported on this recently. I do
wonder if your video prob is kernel config issue not related to Ekiga.
So far, when a webcam was not detected/working with Ekiga here on my
side, it was due solely to not compiling in the kernel support for the
webcam in the first place. I presume Ekiga has no video drivers of its own.
As for V4L2, I do not know this even matters. The driver module for
my Philips ToUcam webcam happens to be marked for compiling in the
kernel config file by default and gets loaded automatically, but this may
not be true for your webcam. Does any other application in your current
Debian or Centos installs find your webcam? Can you see if the driver
module loads (lsmod)? If not, you should look into configing your kernel
if the driver even exists in the kernel source, or search for a download
for a driver module. Even for my ancient webcam, I prefer to download a
more recent driver module because it offers higher resolution than the
kernel driver that comes with my Linux Slackware distro.

Dee

Windows Live™ Hotmail®…more than just e-mail. See how it works.