Re: [Ekiga-list] Ekiga.net VOIP conference server info

On Tue, 03 Feb 2009 19:40:08 +0100, "Damien Sandras"
<dsandras seconix com> said:
> Le mardi 03 février 2009 à 18:38 +0100, yannick a écrit :
> > Le lundi 02 février 2009 à 23:55 -0800, john_re a écrit :
> > > Is there a web page or faq that lists the characteristics of the
> > > ekiga.net VOIP conference server?
 > > https://www.ekiga.net/index.php?page=services
.> > > If not, will you please tell me:

> > > 1) Who owns it?
> >
> > Damien Sandras. Ever is some people do have account and administer the
> > server, I guess it is mainly under Damien's responsibility. Damien?
>
> I don't really own it. It is kindly hosted by easyneuf :
> http://easyneuf.fr
>
> > > 2) who manages it?
> >
> > Damien Sandras, Jan AKA TheBonsai
>
> Mainly Jan nowadays.
>
> > > 3) where is the hw?
> >
> > In France... My own country.
> > Hosting: http://www.easyneuf.fr/
> >
> > > 4) what general & special purpose hw does it use?
> >
> > Nothing fancy, just regular hw for a server. I'm not sure to truly
> > understand your point here...

Point: Is there any VOIP specific hardware?  Maybe some telecom carrier
grade voice IO capability stuff?  Low latency throughput, etc?  Maybe
some Digium stuff??

> > > 5) what sw does it run?
> >
> > The nice part:
> > Running on GNU/Linux
> > Kamailio http://www.kamailio.org/
> > Asterisk http://www.asterisk.org/
> > + LAMP service
> > -> dedicated user interface in PHP under GPL
> > http://webxser.tuxfamily.org/
> >
> > I'm currently working on a new user interface using Drupal
> > http://drupal.org/
> >
> > In short:
> > The whole software stack is open source.

Mostly I'm interested in the sw that does the voip conferencing, that
mixes the audio stream.  & also control for the conference room - is
there, or can there be made available, easily, some control panel for a
voip conference, that shows status info about the conference members,
the rate & quality of their connections, etc - something to help manage
a conference to any useful extent, & perhaps debug connections, - like
volume levels, etc

Like, we did some conferences using it, & sometimes some people seemed
too loud, or maybe had background noise, (music, keyboard clicks), & it
would be nice to have tools for the meeting manager to identify problems
(ex- which line has the music playing, so we could turn down the volume
on that channel, cause they went away from their computer & forgot to
turn their mic off, etc)

> > > 6) what is its network connectivity?
> >
> > I do not know how much exactly.

Anyone?  Can we get info from Jan AKA TheBonsai?  Multiple peering?
Data rate? Mere internet, or voice carrier connections?

> > > 6b) what is the maximum conference participants it can handle
> >
> > I've no clue. I personally tested up to something like 10.

Jan?

> > > 6c) can it now, or will it in the future, handle video conferencing?
> >
> > Jan? Damien?
>
> In the future probably, we had tested in the past an asterisk app
> supporting video but we did not deploy it.
>

> > > 7) What issues should one be aware of in attempting to create a global
> > > conference? Ex: USA & India?
> >
> > It is numeric communication. Thus geographical mesures need to be
> > reconsidered. It mostly depends on the underlying net infrastructure.
> >
> > I do not know Ekiga.net's own limits in this regard.

Jan? anyone?

> > > 7b) to ensure acceptable quality from multi continents, what can be
> > > done? Including, network providers with good VOIP quality TOS?
> >
> > Are you considering professional use of the service?

No, just for the BerkeleyTIP monthly meeting.

> > > Thanks  :)
> >
> > Hope that helps.
> >
> > Yannick

Thanks :)