Re: [Ekiga-list] Could not register (Globally not acceptable)

ael wrote:
> I have just upgraded to 3.2.5 (debian 3.2.5-1) on one of my machines,
> and am a bit baffled by the
>   "Could not register (Globally not acceptable)"
> message displayed in the Accounts window when I try to register with
> ekiga.net. My other two sip accounts register ok in this version.
>
> I do miss the General History Window which helped so much in knowing
> what was happening. The one line message at the bottom of the main
> window just says "Could not register sip:myaccountxxx".
>
> Maybe ekiga.net is down again? I know that I can run with -d4 to see
> what is happening, and I will probably do that soon. But the point of
> this message is to say that even someone reasonably experienced with
> ekiga is just confused by the message. Maybe it is just echoing a reply
> from asterisk in which case perhaps there is little to do about it.

To my knowledge generally the few words you receive in the account
window "explain" the error code received ; for incorrect password, I
suppose also that different servers reply with different codes, which
complicates the situation.

So the best thing, at least for now, is to take the -d 4.  You can find
useful the program at
http://git.gnome.org/cgit/ekiga/plain/src/ekiga-debug-analyser, which
shows you only the packets exchanged.

> It would be nice is the message gave a clue about  whether this is a
> problem with username/password (presumably not in this case since I was
> working with previous versions), a timeout, or something else. Newbies
> won't want to get into -d4 stuff...

You're right, I will soon try to show some ideas about how to improve
things here, for ex. showing the error codes to the user.  I have
already some test cases.