Re: [Ekiga-list] Echo in Calls

After fiddling around a little bit, I think the real problem is not so much echo as latency, and I think the problem is probably with the Ekiga/Jaunty combination.  I set the system audio settings and the Ekiga audio settings both to the same thing, in this case to Nvidia/Alsa (my sound card is Nvidia), and I lowered the jitter buffer from 500 (the default) to 220. This eliminated a lot (not all) of the echo.  If I lower the jitter buffer any more, the calls begin to break up.  However, there is still a very bad latency (delay) problem. Very bad.

As a test, I unplugged my laptop from the ethernet wire, and plugged the same ethernet wire into a VOIP hard phone, configured to use the same server.  On the VOIP hard phone, there is no echo, no delay, and the calls are clear.  No noticible latency problem at all.

I should mention that I used Ekiga under Ubuntu Intrepid, and I did not have the Latency/Echo problems.  It only started after I upgraded to Jaunty beta.  Any thoughts?