Re: [Ekiga-list] Echo in Calls

Robert

I think you've all but proven the issue, if the hard phone works - same
server, same internet connection, same everything - except - the phone
itself (replaced Ekiga with this phone temporarily) and there is no
delay - thus - no echo, the PC is the issue.

Exactly how to track the delay inside the PC from mike/speaker through
ekiga to the network card  - I'll have to defer to the SW guys. I use
lots of older PCs with ancient sound cards, and these usually are a
likely source of latency.

At least you can check the PC->server or PC->PC latency - a simple test
is ping - see what the maximum and average , example, send 5 frames:

sadams tau:~> ping -c 5 ekiga.net
PING ekiga.net (86.64.162.35) 56(84) bytes of data.
64 bytes from ekiga.net (86.64.162.35): icmp_seq=1 ttl=56 time=34.4 ms
64 bytes from ekiga.net (86.64.162.35): icmp_seq=2 ttl=56 time=96.4 ms
64 bytes from ekiga.net (86.64.162.35): icmp_seq=3 ttl=56 time=34.1 ms
64 bytes from ekiga.net (86.64.162.35): icmp_seq=4 ttl=56 time=34.7 ms
64 bytes from ekiga.net (86.64.162.35): icmp_seq=5 ttl=56 time=43.0 ms

--- ekiga.net ping statistics ---
5 packets transmitted, 5 received, 0% packet loss, time 4001ms

check to see if the PC network card has errors:
netstat -s
ifconfig
ethtool -S eth0 /mii-diag (depends on card/distro)

Note the max and average delay. anything over approx. 25ms - You have a
chance of hearing the echo. Now how to do this between application and
network interface - I'll have to pass.

Hope this helps.