Re: [Ekiga-list] Ekiga 3.0 questions/problems

Hi,

Le lundi 29 septembre 2008 à 16:49 +0200, Jan Schampera a écrit :
> Jan Kasprzak wrote:
> > 	Hello,
> >
> > I have just compiled ekiga 3.0 on my Fedora 9/x86_64, and I have some
> > questions and problems:
>
> let me comment some of those.

let me comment the rest :-)

> > * When starting up, ekiga displays two error pop-up windows - one says
> > 	"Invalid array index", and the other one says "Operating System
> > 	error". Also two "FIXME" strings are printed on STDERR.

I need a backtrace.

> > * The contacts from the Address Book apparently retained only the name,
> > 	but not the phone number or the SIP URL, when migrating
> > 	from 2.0 to 3.0. When I try to add the SIP URL to an existing
> > 	(incorrectly imported) contact, I then get the same two error pop-ups
> > 	as above, and another two new pop-ups with the same error messages
> > 	are created every two or so seconds.
>
> These 2 *might* be a migration problem 2 -> 3. We will see if it's
> reproducable.

As we are using Evolution-Data-Server to store the contact information,
there is no reason why this information would be lost, except if you
compiled without GNOME support, ie without Evolution-Data-Server
support. Is this the case ?

> > * How to get my contacts from the address book (the window available
> > 	by selecting Chat -> Address Book menu item) displayed in the
> > 	"Contacts" roster in the main window? (This may be related to the
> > 	problem above - my contacts apparently lost their SIP URL
> > 	when migrating to 3.0).
>
> In contect menu, there should be an "Add to local roster" (or
> translated) menupoint.

The address book window has an "Action" menu too.

[...]

> > * When making an outgoing call (e.g. to 500 ekiga net), ekiga (or PA) says
> >
> > *** PULSEAUDIO: Unable to create stream.
> > Cannot set parameters Input/output error
> >
> > 	but then the call works without a problem. I have all three
> > 	audio devices in Edit->Preferences->Audio->Devices set to
> > 	"Default (PTLIB/ALSA)".
>
> Does your ALSA reside above a PulseAudio system? I think it's PA.

Yes, it is not on our side.

> > * IMHO, from the UI point of view, the chat should be treated the same way
> > 	as a call. In 3.0, there is a separate Chat->Call menu item,
> > 	but no Chat->Message or whatever.
>
> Agreed.

Just report a bug.

> > * The Chat->Call option (and the green phone icon in the main window)
> > 	is still available even when there is no valid SIP (or other)
> > 	URL entered in the URL input box. Selecting it (or clicking the
> > 	green icon) provides no audible feedback, and almost no visual
> > 	feedback (apart from the status line message "User is not available").
> > 	I think the "User busy" ringtone should be played, and maybe a
> > 	error pop-up should be displayed, with a more meaningful message
> > 	(such as "`sip:' is not a valid URL"). Or the green button should
> > 	be disabled altogether, until a valid URL is entered.
>
> Agreed.

Just report a bug.

> > * I have not found a way how to send a message to the SIP URL in the
> > 	URL input box (e.g. when this URL is not in the Address Book as well).
>
> Right. We will find a way.

You can report a bug (for 3.20).

> > * The URL input box no longer has a history drop-down button
> > 	(I used almost exclusively this one for making calls, because
> > 	I mostly call only two or three SIP contacts). Can it be restored?
> > 	The "Call history" tab is not sufficient, because it also
> > 	displays incoming and missed calls, and does not display the
> > 	presence status - I would like to keep a "Contacts" tab opened
> > 	by default instead of "Call history".
>
> A method would be to use the values from the "Call history", just
> filtered (doubles). Would that be enough?

You can report a bug (for 3.20).

> > * Shouldn't the "display the address book" action be under the View
> > 	menu instead of "Chat" menu? After all, I want to _view_ the
> > 	address book, not _chat_ it :-)
>
> Agreed.

Same remark, bug report.

> > * (I have written this one before:) I think it would be less confusing
> > 	if the local video was displayed vertically flipped (like as
> > 	the user is looking at himself into the mirror) - this way it
> > 	would be easier to "stay in the center of the frame".
>
> I don't know how far this is possible with the different output plugs,
> but I know who to ask ;-)

Not sure here, it would lead to a super wide Ekiga window.

> Most of this stuff won't make it into the next (meant as bugfix release)
> version, since the GNOME branch is in freeze.
>
> Don't ask to fill the bugzilla, fill it ;-) The worst thing that can
> happen is, that somebody thinks it's not a bug/valid request and closes
> it (but most of this sounds valid to me!).

I agree with Jan here.
--
 _     Damien Sandras