Re: [Ekiga-list] Ekiga

Daniel Huhardeaux schrieb:
you want to set the CallerID but this has no sense with Betamax gateways, they are not allowing to set the CID. We have tested few of their services, including freecall, without any luck.
It is possible to set the CallerID with Betamax.
The phone number has to be entered into and verified by the Windows software initially, though. I don't have an account with FreeCall, but I have successfully tested it with VoipBuster and Poivy, which are also Betamax services.

Once you have verified your number by means of the windows software (which I assume Judith already has), you can use it with any SIP client, such as Ekiga.

You have to set your username to the verified phone number (format +49XXX) and your authentication user to the actual Betamax username in the sip settings dialog.

It should look something like this:
http://fmkaiser.de/pub/freecall_ekiga.png

Also, setting his own CID is generally forbiden in EU (imagine: I know your phone number, I know some of your friends, I set your CID and call them even if my number is blaklisted!)
It is true that you as a home user cannot set an arbitrary CallerID.
The telephony provider can, however. This feature is called CLIP -no screening-. They just have to make sure that their customers won't abuse this feature, which is why they usually will require some sort of verification, that the number is indeed yours.

I hope this helps.

Florian