Re: [Ekiga-list] symmetric nat traversal

Le samedi 29 novembre 2008 à 14:45 +0100, Martin Uecker a écrit :
> On Fri, Nov 28, 2008 at 10:11:18PM +0100, yannick wrote:
> > Le vendredi 28 novembre 2008 à 21:48 +0100, Martin Uecker a écrit :
>

> > > 19th August 2007 - Miredo 1.1.0
> > >     This is a test release with initial symmetric NAT traversal support,
> > > and various other minor enhancements and fixes. Note that it might not
> > > work too well on non-Linux systems - BSD support will be fixed later as
> > > the 1.1.x branch matures.
> > >

> > "Can Miredo serve behind a symmetric NAT?
> > Currently, Miredo cannot serve as a Teredo client behind a symmetric
> > NAT. However, in preparation for this to eventually become possible,
> > Miredo can accept other clients behind a symmetric NAT (as of version
> > 0.9.8). It's a matter of time before Miredo supports symmetric NATs to a
> > larger extent (however in any case, support for symmetric NATs will
> > never be equal to support for other NATs due to limitations of symmetric
> > NATs).
>
> The changelog implies that this situation has changed in version 1.1.0
> (as compared to 0.9.8). I think it is worth a try.

Yes, it seems the situation of NAT traversal can improve. I wish I could
help with that.

What I want to point out is: some networks behind some symmetric NATs
are not in the internet. They are more like TV than peer to peer. I do
think it is important to notify people about that fact. I do understand
it could be good reason behind that, maybe related to security. Still, I
hope one day people in general would be more conscientious about that;
thus they could choose what is best for them. Maybe it could be a good
idea to put some pressure on the industry selling products behaving
badly for peer to peer.

There is stickers everywhere on hardware for "Vista ready", "HD ready",
even "Skype ready". Maybe a "VoIP ready" could be good too...

Just my 2 cents...