Re: [Ekiga-list] Ekiga vs Skype

Hello D,

On Sat, Mar 29, 2008 at 6:01 PM, D Webb <dlw_insulin hotmail com> wrote:

>  > > proving to offer the best sound quality, but many people are
> > > having problems
> > > getting it to work reliably. I have been trying Ekiga 2.0.11
> > > that
> >
> > We rarely get crash reports... My advice might be biased, but Ekiga has
> > always had a good reputation of stability and reliability.
> > --
> > _ Damien Sandras
>
> I think this is because you have been re-directing bug reports to other
> software like alsa-lib, which I reported. However, alsa-lib is pretty much
> standard on all Linux distros. So if Ekiga is crashing because of a
> conflict with alsa-lib, regardless of where the fault lies, Ekiga won't
> work reliably under Linux without some kind of changes. I have yet
> to see Ekiga work with Linux (default Slackware 12.0 install + Gnome)
> or FreeBSD 7.0, although a friend finally did get it to work under Windows.
> I know of one report of someone getting Ekiga to work under Ubuntu,
> and I am thinking to give that a try, although I do not yet understand why
> the distribution would make a difference, assuming they are all using
> ALSA. There are plenty of people around here who have tried and failed,
> so it is clear there are problems. I guess I could ask around for specifics
> from others. I already reported the alsa-lib problem. I certainly do not
> want
> to detract in any way from your hard work. Ekiga looks like great
> software.

I am running UbuntuStudio 7.10 and Ekiga 2.0.11.
 I have a little trouble with the audio at times but usually can work
it out to the point of carrying on a conversation. Video has worked
fine on my system as well. Many time I suspect the mic on both ends.
Mine has been stepped on but I intend to invest in a good one that I
can snap to my collar.

I an running a P4 with 1GB of ram and 122GB H.D.

Lets see if we can't get together on Ekiga and work out your problems.
I am in Montana USA with Mounton time.

--
Edward Dunagin-Dunigan
Bozeman, MT 59718