Re: [Ekiga-list] Ekiga vs Skype

> > proving to offer the best sound quality, but many people are
> > having problems
> > getting it to work reliably. I have been trying Ekiga 2.0.11
> > that
>
> We rarely get crash reports... My advice might be biased, but Ekiga has
> always had a good reputation of stability and reliability.
> --
> _ Damien Sandras

I think this is because you have been re-directing bug reports to other
software like alsa-lib, which I reported. However, alsa-lib is pretty much
standard on all Linux distros. So if Ekiga is crashing because of a
conflict with alsa-lib, regardless of where the fault lies, Ekiga won't
work reliably under Linux without some kind of changes. I have yet
to see Ekiga work with Linux (default Slackware 12.0 install + Gnome)
or FreeBSD 7.0, although a friend finally did get it to work under Windows.
I know of one report of someone getting Ekiga to work under Ubuntu,
and I am thinking to give that a try, although I do not yet understand why
the distribution would make a difference, assuming they are all using
ALSA. There are plenty of people around here who have tried and failed,
so it is clear there are problems. I guess I could ask around for specifics
from others. I already reported the alsa-lib problem. I certainly do not want
to detract in any way from your hard work. Ekiga looks like great
software.

Dee

Windows Live Hotmail is giving away Zunes. Enter for your chance to win.