Re: [Ekiga-list] A couple ekiga annoyances

On Fri, Jan 25, 2008 at 09:37:09AM +0100, Damien Sandras wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Le jeudi 24 janvier 2008 à 16:00 -0800, Ken Restivo a écrit :
> > I've been using Ekiga for all my telephone needs for the last few months. It's going well. A couple things have been irking me about it:
> >
> > 1) If I need to correct a phone number (i.e. to add 00 to the beginning of it), even if I put the cursor at the beginning after the sip:, ekiga still places any numbers I type at the END of the phone number!
>
> Using the Ekiga dialpad or the keyboard ?

Either one. Actually, whenever I use the keyboard, the buttons highlight on the dialpad, even if I'm not using the mouse.

> I wonder if it has not been fixed after 2.0.3 (we are at 2.0.11).
>
> > 2) If I cancel a call, sometimes ekiga refuses to accept my numberic keystrokes in the sip: box, and instead tries to send them as DTMF, even though the connection is broken. When it gets stuck like that, the only way to fix it is to quit ekiga and wait and then relaunch it.
>
> That kind of thing has been fixed iirc.

Thanks. I'll see if I can find an updated package, otherwise I'll build one and see if it's fixed.

> > 3) The sip won't take - or () characters, making it really difficult to cut and paste phone numbers in to call. I was hoping to just type "sip:00" and then paste and have ekiga dial the number, but alas it does not. I wrote a little sed one-liner to get around this but it'd be nice if ekiga could strip out illegal characters like - and () and spaces.
>
> This one is on our todo list, but it is difficult to determine when the
> character should be replaced or not. For example, sometimes the + is
> needed, sometimes it is not.

Thanks! Although there is no + key on any telephone that I know of, I can imagine that they (and dashes) might be legal in SIP URL's.

-ken