Re: [Ekiga-list] No sound from Ekiga

Damien Sandras wrote:
> Le samedi 05 janvier 2008 à 15:08 -0700, Joseph Comfort a écrit :
>> I have been using gnomemeeting quite well for a long time.  My system is
>> a dual Opteron 244 running SuSE 10.1 (64-bit).  I have been upgrading
>> some of my computers, first to SuSE 10.2 and then 10.3.  I have never
>> been able to get ekiga to work, at least for sound, on these computers.
>>  One of them is identical in hardware with my main (10.1) system.  (The
>> others have a variety of hardware, including one in 32-bit mode.)  I
>> have done a close comparison of the ekiga configuration files and the
>> sound controls (KMix in KDE) for the two systems that have identical
>> hardware, and they are as close as possible.  The audio device is a
>> AMD8111 on the motherboard (which works with gnomemeeting).
>>
>> I am able to connect to a site (h323) with which I need to communicate.
>> The MCU is recognized.  The audio tab in ekiga shows communication 'OUT'
>> as PCMU/H261, but nothing is listed for 'IN'.  When I connect, the
>> microphone slider is somewhere in the middle, but the speaker slider is
>> at zero.  If I move the speaker slider, both sliders go to zero and can
>> not be changed.
>>
>> I have tried everything I know about or can think of, and nothing has
>> been successful.  I would have expected that ekiga would have worked
>> about as well as gnomemeeting, and that upgrading the system should not
>> have compromised things as much as this.  Maybe it is a simple
>> configuration issue somewhere, but I am out of ideas.  I need to update
>> my 10.1 computer, but can not do so until I solve the ekiga problem so
>> that I can communicate as well as before.
>>
>> If anyone has some ideas or suggestions, please let me know.  Thank you.
>>

> Isn't that a simple firewall configuration issue ?

I don't think so.  I have the firewalls turned off on my computers.  The
various SuSE sound configurations are set, and the 'Tests' all produce
sounds.  I don't know why gnomemeeting should work, but ekiga does not
on the same hardware, but with a later system release.  If something
changed some esoteric configuration, I have not found it.

Joe