Re: [Ekiga-devel-list] Setting the goals for Ekiga 3.4

Damien Sandras wrote:
> Le dimanche 27 septembre 2009 à 12:38 +0200, yannick a écrit :
>
>> I think it is a good idea to add TCP support; atm the lack of TCP
>> signaling for SIP broke some setups (calls fail), and as a packager I do
>> not package extra codecs (non free) because of this bug. This means
>> those non free codecs are undertested (e.g. it seems latest x264 lib do
>> not compile with Ekiga anymore), and we lose some interoperability with
>> other software/hardware out of the box.
>
> Agreed. However, that's more an OPAL feature and it requires serious
> work on Ekiga.net to add support for TCP and NAT traversal. I'm not sure
> of the result of having 10000 active TCP connections to Ekiga.net
> either.

TCP support is the bug number 1 in my opinion, so very important.

TCP will be used only when the packet has more than about 1400 bytes, so
only a few clients use TCP at any given moment.

Moreover, I feel confident that linux can work with many TCP connections
simultaneously :o)

Finally, note that TCP support exists already in opal, it needs testing
(Craig dixit, see attachments).

> I'm talking about user-visible changes, not about internal changes.

> I also think we should add some automatic workarounds. e.g. for
>> freephonie.net which only works if video is disabled. Those issues hurt

freephonie is one of the user-visible changes: before, it worked, now,
it does not work.  We should solve this problem somehow...

--- Begin Message ---
Damien Sandras wrote:

..deleted

Do we need a workaround for this before a proper fix? (TCP support)

TCP support.

Opal has the basic support for TCP, and has had for some time. To try it out, make sure you have a TCP listener on the same port as UDP listener (in fact, this is a requirement of the SIP RFC)

We've done basic testing and it seems to work, but I am sure there are situations where it fails

What is needed is more testing

   Craig

 Craig Southeren          Post Increment – VoIP Consulting and Software
 craigs postincrement com au                   www.postincrement.com.au

 Phone:  +61 243654666      ICQ: #86852844
 Fax:    +61 243656905      MSN: craig_southeren hotmail com
 Mobile: +61 417231046      Jabber: craigs jabber org

 "Science is the poetry of reality." Richard Dawkins

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Eugen Dedu wrote:

..deleted

We've done basic testing and it seems to work, but I am sure there are

This is very great news!

situations where it fails

What is needed is more testing

How can we test?  How to create a TCP listener...?

The same way a UDP listener is created, but use the string

   tcp$ipaddr:port

instead of

   udp$ipaddr:port