Re: [Ekiga-devel-list] Tarball generation issues

>>> Are we sure it is an error ?
>>>
>>> I would have supposed it was a feature of pkgconfig. Anyway, what is
>>> sure is that it is not ekiga's job to request speexdsp, so if anything
>>> has to be fixed, it is in opal.pc.
>>>
>>> And what I don't understand is that I do not get this error, however,
>>> speexdsp.pc is not on my system !?
>>
>> Weird, I had to scratch my head for a sec as I had opal-devel
>> installed, but not speex devel.
>
> If you have libspeex-dev installed when configuring opal, then opal.pc will
> contain:
>  Requires: ptlib speexdsp
> This means that libpt-dev and libspeexdsp-dev must be installed when
> configuring a program which uses opal.pc, such as ekiga.
>
> However, this is wrong, because ekiga program does not need libspeex-dsp,
> but libspeex.
>
> I do not know how to impose to a program to require a library (not its
> headers) through pkg-config (but it might exist somehow).
>
> I repeat: the question is: how opal can tell ekiga that libspeex (not -dev)
> is needed in order to use opal?

Surely most of that should be handled by the packaging system. EG
using rpms in Fedora when a library (opal) is built against another
library (speex) the dependancy is created so if you install ekiga it
will pull in opal and then speex if its not installed. I'm pretty sure
that's how most other packages deal with that. No idea how its handled
with debs or anything else though.

Peter