Re: [Ekiga-devel-list] Tarball generation issues

Peter Robinson wrote:
Also when doing the library check I get the following opal error if
the speex libs aren't installed (should it not be checking for
speex?).

checking for PTLIB... yes
checking for OPAL... configure: error: Package requirements (opal >=
3.4.2) were not met:

Package speexdsp was not found in the pkg-config search path.
Perhaps you should add the directory containing `speexdsp.pc'
Package 'speexdsp', required by 'opal', not found

Alternatively, you may set the environment variables OPAL_CFLAGS
and OPAL_LIBS to avoid the need to call pkg-config.
What happens is that opal asks, through its pkg-config file, that
libspeex-dev be installed when another package depending on opal, such
as ekiga, is configured.  This is an error (not -dev, but the library is
needed), but I do not know how to solve it for the moment.
Are we sure it is an error ?

I would have supposed it was a feature of pkgconfig. Anyway, what is
sure is that it is not ekiga's job to request speexdsp, so if anything
has to be fixed, it is in opal.pc.

And what I don't understand is that I do not get this error, however,
speexdsp.pc is not on my system !?

Weird, I had to scratch my head for a sec as I had opal-devel
installed, but not speex devel.

If you have libspeex-dev installed when configuring opal, then opal.pc will contain:
  Requires: ptlib speexdsp
This means that libpt-dev and libspeexdsp-dev must be installed when configuring a program which uses opal.pc, such as ekiga.

However, this is wrong, because ekiga program does not need libspeex-dsp, but libspeex.

I do not know how to impose to a program to require a library (not its headers) through pkg-config (but it might exist somehow).

I repeat: the question is: how opal can tell ekiga that libspeex (not -dev) is needed in order to use opal?