Re: [Ekiga-devel-list] ekiga.rc

Michael Rickmann wrote:
Am Montag, den 20.04.2009, 18:12 +0100 schrieb Peter Robinson:
Is there a way to move ekiga.rc from root to win32?
1) git mv ekiga.rc win32/
2) make sure any file referencing ekiga.rc now searches for it in
win32/

Snark
Could you please rename it so that the basename is distinctive, e.g.
ekiga-rc.rc ? I ask this because eventually we can include compilation
of the resources into the autoconf/libtool make process and then an
ekiga.o file would be a bit dangerous I think. Additionally VALUE
"SpecialBuild", CVS_VERSION in the resource file is a bit outdated. Now
an EKIGA_REVISION is defined in src/revision.h . See attached patch as
an example for how one could handle the Win32 resources.
Note that ekiga uses git now, so src/Makefile.am info about revision.h is
obsolete...  Is it interesting to resuscitate it?

Yes, I have seen that. I am still testing. Would something like
#define EKIGA_REVISION "EKIGA_3_2_0-80-g80bf6d3" be acceptable in
revisioin.h? It is based on the output of git describe, the 80th
revision of tag EKIGA_3_2_0 I guess.

It's ok for me.

How did you obtain 80 and g80bf...? I couldn't find them on http://git.gnome.org/cgit/ekiga/, neither with git log on both trunk and gnome-2-26. I didn't know it is possible to number the revisions (80) in git.

For my snapshots, I use only the date in the .deb file name (see
http://snapshots.ekiga.net/snapshots/debian/).  Users can know the version
(the date) with 'dpkg -l' afterwards.  Wouldn't this be sufficient for
windows snapshots too?  (Simpler is better :o))
I would personally prefer the git version rather than the date version
as there could be multiple different versions of ekiga on a single day
dependant on the amount of commits. By using the git rev you know
exactly what the build was based upon so it makes it easier from a
debug and recreation of the problem perpective.

Regards,
Peter
I agree, currently it is used for ptracing for linux and windows,
gui/main.cpp: PTRACE(1, "Ekiga SVN revision: " << EKIGA_REVISION);
To have it in the Windows resources too, is for right clicking on
ekiga.exe and have people find the revision under properties.

Ok.