Re: [Ekiga-devel-list] Win32 build and continuous integration

Le lundi 31 mars 2008 à 21:54 +0200, Torsten Schlabach a écrit :
> Hi!
>
> Damien Sandras schrieb:
> All I would like to see is a concise guide like:
> >>
> >>- Take a plain XYZ machine.
> >>- Install a, b and c.
> >>- Issues these commands.
> >>- Enjoy.
> >

> > There is a start in the wiki, but it is probably not complete enough :(
>
> IMO the problem with any guide is assumptions. Anyone who's writing such
> guides silently assumes that the reader will work in a similar
> environment, will have similar tools installed and will approach tasks
> in a similar way.

Well, he can not guess the behavior with a different environment either.
For example, I have no idea how it works with Fedora.

> The more skilled someone is in writing guides, the more the writer will
> think with the reader and make such assumptions explicit. That will at
> least provide the reader with heads-up if something is different on his
> system than what the writer assumes.
>
> But on the other hand, IMO, it cannot be the answer to have detailled
> guides for any flavor of Linux how to cross-compile Ekiga. That would
> just be the next maintainance nightmare. If we keep guides for Debian,
> Ubuntu, Red Hat and SuSE and Gentoo (apologies if I missed your favorite
> distro) and we'd have a change like the SVN -> git move of x264 we would
> need to update 5 different guides.

Indeed.

> So what I wonder is if there aren't any more intelligent mechanisms to
> handle such a cross-build and make it more robust across different
> distributions or at least make dependencies and potential problems which
> they cause a bit more transparent. I mean, is Ekiga the first
> cross-platform open source project? How do other people (Mozilla, eMule,
> [your favorite cross-platform OSS app]) handle this?

No idea, but of course, Ekiga cross-compilation can certainly be
improved. It is a work in progress and relatively recent, the more
people will try it, and fix it, the better it will be...

> Besides that, what I would like to understand:
>
> What would it take to get an automated daily snapshot build of Ekiga
> back? Why isn't it available anymore? Is that just because it stopped
> working, therefore someone switched it off or did the infrastructure for
> that snapshot build disappear?

The infrastructure is still present, but the person owning it does not
have spare time anymore. We have no news from him since 6 months (except
on rare occasions).

Most probably the scripts simply need to be fixed.

It would be cool to get a new maintainer. Kilian was doing a fantastic
job, but it takes time...

> If the infrastructure was still available: What does it look like? What
> flavor of Linux? What version? How is the daily build performed? Is it a
> script? Is the whole server rebuilt nightly from scratch, ...?

Each time there is a commit, a new build for all known linux
distributions is triggered. Everything is done through script and
virtual machines (so that we support several distributions).

That was a huge job to do. It is a pity Kilian does not maintain it
anymore :(
--
 _     Damien Sandras