Re: [Ekiga-devel-list] Win32 build and continuous integration

Hi!

Damien Sandras schrieb:
All I would like to see is a concise guide like:

- Take a plain XYZ machine.
- Install a, b and c.
- Issues these commands.
- Enjoy.

There is a start in the wiki, but it is probably not complete enough :(

IMO the problem with any guide is assumptions. Anyone who's writing such guides silently assumes that the reader will work in a similar environment, will have similar tools installed and will approach tasks in a similar way.

The more skilled someone is in writing guides, the more the writer will think with the reader and make such assumptions explicit. That will at least provide the reader with heads-up if something is different on his system than what the writer assumes.

But on the other hand, IMO, it cannot be the answer to have detailled guides for any flavor of Linux how to cross-compile Ekiga. That would just be the next maintainance nightmare. If we keep guides for Debian, Ubuntu, Red Hat and SuSE and Gentoo (apologies if I missed your favorite distro) and we'd have a change like the SVN -> git move of x264 we would need to update 5 different guides.

So what I wonder is if there aren't any more intelligent mechanisms to handle such a cross-build and make it more robust across different distributions or at least make dependencies and potential problems which they cause a bit more transparent. I mean, is Ekiga the first cross-platform open source project? How do other people (Mozilla, eMule, [your favorite cross-platform OSS app]) handle this?

Besides that, what I would like to understand:

What would it take to get an automated daily snapshot build of Ekiga back? Why isn't it available anymore? Is that just because it stopped working, therefore someone switched it off or did the infrastructure for that snapshot build disappear?

If the infrastructure was still available: What does it look like? What flavor of Linux? What version? How is the daily build performed? Is it a script? Is the whole server rebuilt nightly from scratch, ...?

Regards,
Torsten