Re: [Ekiga-devel-list] Ekiga-windows echo cancellation doesn't work

On Mon, 2007-05-14 at 00:08 +0200, michel memeteau wrote:
> Just a Word : Thomas I find your answer really rude , it's normal to
> compare to proprietary software as echo cancelation algorythms are
> public and usually better in open source software .
>
> We have to compare on such points because we all want people to use
> open standards technoogies instead of skype or msn and everybody do
> his best to achieve it , so don't blame dieter please

I second this.  There is no reason to take out your hostilities against
proprietary software out on users trying to use open source software.
To them software is just software and they don't have the technical
terms to describe what they are seeing.  The best they can do is
describe, how one works and how the other doesn't.  I personally commend
Dieter for both trying out open software, as well as trying to
contribute what he can to the community.  He obviously needs some
guidance, but that is easy enough.

I have tried skype and I think they use some dirty tricks to work around
echo cancellation issues.  The biggest (ugly but effective) one we can
probably implement pretty painlessly is to mute the microphone when we
are playing output out of the speakers.  It seems like a lot of VOIP
apps use this as a last result echo cancellation.

Jon