Re: [Ekiga-devel-list] Ekiga 3.00

Le dimanche 01 avril 2007 �9:54 +0200, Julien Puydt a �it :

> > * It should have a new menu (Contact) instead of (Call). The main user
> > interface will be a roster. The address book will (perhaps, perhaps not)
> > be replaced by a search window allowing you to search for contacts in
> > various sources and add them to your roster.
>
> I'm for keeping an addressbook window, but not that easily accessible
> (from a menu entry, not from an icon on the toolbar). We can't put
> things like ldap directories directly in the roster.
>
> On the other end, I already put neighbour contacts directly in the roster.

A search window is an address book window. (think to old ICQ versions or
other communication tools like Skype).

> > * The roster will support SIP Presence and messaging. It will be stable.
> > When connected to an Asterisk server, it will show you who is talking
> > and who is not.
>
> I'd like to know how SIP presence works ; more precisely, where is the
> roster stored?

Locally, please read the RFC (I don't remember the RFC number, but it is
labelled as SIMPLE)

[...]

> > * Ekiga will support the H.263 video codec.
>
> Uh... licence issues in sight ?

If it is a plugin...

> > * A new manual needs to be written
>
> Yannick, don't hide : that one's for you ;-)
>
> > * Better NAT support
>
> Hmmmm... new network traversal methods ?

No, but a rationalization, and more things being automated. The STUN
test can be executed when you start the client instead of asking the
user to do it.

> > * New configuration assistant
>
> Based on GtkAssistant instead of GnomeDruid. Yes!

Yes, and much simpler.

> > * Will support XVideo output
>
> Matthias (Schneider) & yourself are refactoring the display code already.
>
> Here you forgot :
> * Will have a new tray implementation
>
> Based on GtkStatusIcon, multiplatform, instead of one implementation for
> each platform like now. Luis Menina is working on this.
>
> * Gstreamer plugins for audio, video and codecs.
>
> I have experimental code for the first two ; the main problem is that
> gstreamer needs some improvements to have it work.
>
> We have nothing for the later, and it looks hairy to do.
>
> > Ekiga.net
> > ---------
> >
> > * It will have a new design
>
> Hmmm...
>
> > * It will support presence (not easy to achieve!)
>
> Hmmmm...
>
> >>From the above, nothing is finished. When I say "nothing", I really
> > mean, nothing. So, there are the areas where you can help. I think that
> > with the current development rythm, Ekiga 3.00 will be released 3 years
> > after Ekiga 2.00.
>
> Nothing is finished, but it's not like we don't have contributors and
> experimental code here and there.

I just don't want to see work in other areas than the one above before
3.00 because there are still many things to do, including in OPAL...
--
 _     Damien Sandras