Re: [Ekiga-devel-list] Ekiga 3.00

Damien Sandras a écrit :
* Ekiga 3.00 should have a new core backend for contacts using Julien's
code. This will allow more fancy things. Ekiga should be based on the
notion of "contact" and not anymore on the notion of "calling".

Dynamic contacts, more precisely. The current code for network neighbourhood needs the user to click a refresh button. My new code will make the contacts appear and disappear live.

* It should have a new menu (Contact) instead of (Call). The main user
interface will be a roster. The address book will (perhaps, perhaps not)
be replaced by a search window allowing you to search for contacts in
various sources and add them to your roster.

I'm for keeping an addressbook window, but not that easily accessible (from a menu entry, not from an icon on the toolbar). We can't put things like ldap directories directly in the roster.

On the other end, I already put neighbour contacts directly in the roster.

* The roster will support SIP Presence and messaging. It will be stable.
When connected to an Asterisk server, it will show you who is talking
and who is not.

I'd like to know how SIP presence works ; more precisely, where is the roster stored?

* Ekiga will be able to detect IP addresses changes, when network
interfaces appear or disappear. It will not complain anymore when it is
started without any network interface.

Huge work to do in that area.

* Ekiga will be able to detect when an USB headset or camera is plugged,
and propose you to use it.

Huge, huge work in that area too.

* Ekiga will run on windows.

Yes.

* Ekiga will support the IAX2 protocol.

Yes. Stephen Cook's summer of code 2006 finally.

* Ekiga will support the H.263 video codec.

Uh... licence issues in sight ?

* A new manual needs to be written

Yannick, don't hide : that one's for you ;-)

* Better NAT support

Hmmmm... new network traversal methods ?

* New configuration assistant

Based on GtkAssistant instead of GnomeDruid. Yes!

* Will support XVideo output

Matthias (Schneider) & yourself are refactoring the display code already.

Here you forgot :
* Will have a new tray implementation

Based on GtkStatusIcon, multiplatform, instead of one implementation for each platform like now. Luis Menina is working on this.

* Gstreamer plugins for audio, video and codecs.

I have experimental code for the first two ; the main problem is that gstreamer needs some improvements to have it work.

We have nothing for the later, and it looks hairy to do.

Ekiga.net
---------

* It will have a new design

Hmmm...

* It will support presence (not easy to achieve!)

Hmmmm...

From the above, nothing is finished. When I say "nothing", I really
mean, nothing. So, there are the areas where you can help. I think that
with the current development rythm, Ekiga 3.00 will be released 3 years
after Ekiga 2.00.

Nothing is finished, but it's not like we don't have contributors and experimental code here and there.