Re: [Ekiga-devel-list] preliminary patch for X-Video support

Am Dienstag, 12. September 2006 18:31 schrieb Matthias Schneider:
> Hi, sure, SDL can provide hardware overlay with the following constraints:
>
> 	- only available when run as root
> 	- only DGA driver (framebuffer in console mode)
> 	- acceleration only available at fullscreen
> 	- tries to switch to a resolution close to the overlay resolution

SDL can use XV for hardware accel. But it is complicated (you have to make
sure you use a supported colorformat, otherwise it falls back to software.)

But I would be glad if Ekiga/pwlib had one dependency less (it is a little bit
strange, pwlib is a portability library, and SDL as well, and only the video
part of SDL is used, and even using SDL you have to do a lot of platform
specific stuff.)

> Just the first issue (see
> http://www.libsdl.org/faq.php?action=listentries&category=3#31
> ) rules out SDL under linux. Furthermore the GDK/SDL implementation does
> the colorspace transform in software..
> Concerning the PIP issue, as Gregory already pointed out correctly every
> recent X graphics adaptor driver should support multiple overlays. In case
> the second overlay shouldnt be possible, my implementation simply doesnt
> display it.

Nope

xdpyinfo:
X.Org version: 6.8.2
xvinfo:
X-Video Extension version 2.2
screen #0
  Adaptor #0: "ATI Radeon Video Overlay"
    number of ports: 1

This is an Mobility 9000 aka rv250, using the "radeon" (opensource) driver.

Might be different with a newer xorg version.

Stefan