Re: Identifying Automatic Changes

On 24/08/16 15:46, David King wrote:
Hi

On 2016-08-23 23:27, Budge <ajebay errichel co uk> wrote:
How may I determine what automatic changes are being made/proposed when
after opening a file in Easytag and then leaving without making any
changes intentionally, I am prompted to discard, save or cancel?

There is currently no way to display the differences between the on-disk
file and the changes currently in memory (whether those are automatic or
have been entered by the user).

I suspect it may be the illegal character setting which I have just had
to change in my preference setting because my NAS box insists on using
the windoze broken character set even though we are all linux here.  Is
there any easy way to check if this is the case?

I suppose that an appropriate interface for this would be a changes (or
history) dialogue, showing the fields from the on-disk file and
highlighting differences with the changes in memory. There are some
changes that are not so easy to show, such as migration from old cover
art formats, changes to ID3 tag versions and probably others that I am
forgetting.

Such a dialogue does not currently exist, but it should not be too
difficult to write.

Hi David,
In my case the opportunity to compare came with the save pop up and as suspected most of my problems and need for re-tagging came from my use of a characters which give windoze systems problems. By changing the automatic setting I think I have identified the changes and solved my problem too. BTW it was not the NAS causing the problems but a memory card in Sony player.
Thanks for the reply.
Regards,
Budge