Re: Easytag won't start from desktop icon

On 08/03/2015 01:31 AM, David King wrote:
Hi

On 2015-08-02 19:45, Scott Furry <scott wl furry gmail com> wrote:
On 02/08/15 07:29 PM, Steven P. Ulrick wrote:
I compile and install Easytag from the Git repo.  The version of
Easytag that I am running is installed in the following location:
/usr/local/spu/assorted/e/easytag/easytag-20150727-1456

I have the following in my $PATH:
PATH=/usr/local/spu/assorted/e/easytag/easytag-20150727-1456/bin:$PATH

I have the following in my $XDG_DATA_DIRS:
XDG_DATA_DIRS=/usr/local/spu/assorted/e/easytag/easytag-20150727-1456/share:$XDG_DATA_DIRS

That should be all that is required. Did you remember to compile the GSettings schema with glib-compile-schemas (and with an appropriate --targerdir)?

I do not have Easytag installed from the official Fedora repos. Only
from Git.

I will now install Easytag from the Fedora Repos and see what happens...

As installed from the Fedora Repos, Easytag starts in all the ways
that I said that it didn't in my original message on this subject...

Are there any logs from the application launcher when attempting to start EasyTAG? If EasyTAG fails to start, it should exit with an error code and log message, and if the launcher fails to find the binary, I would expect some logging output giving a hint as to what went wrong.

Adding the build location to $PATH seems incorrect. I would think we
would not want to pollute the $PATH variable.

EasyTag should install to a "default" location (/usr/bin or
/usr/local/bin) which would then be picked up automatically. The
*.desktop file is written with this in mind.

This is correct. The desktop file Exec key contains only "easytag %F", so it is expected that the easytag binary is installed into PATH. The configure script will, by default install into /usr/local, although a prefix of /usr is expected for distribution packages.

I suspect that giving a custom path to the build process is causing you
issues.

This is probably true. It could be that the application launcher has a different environment to a terminal shell.

Hello, David
I will look into all of this later. But what strikes me as odd is that I have been doing this this way for years, with Easytag and many other applications, and it wasn't until VERY recently that this issue cropped up. Not only that, but Easytag is the only application that I am having this issue with.

Steven P. Ulrick