Re: A UI design idea mockup for discussion

On 29/08/14 12:34 AM, Zhang Weiwu wrote:
On Fri, 29 Aug 2014, Scott Furry wrote:

My issue with running the mockup is what is it in? I'm assuming its a tk script, but I don't use tk. Is it pure tk? Python/tk? perl/tk?

Short answer: right click it and in the permission tab check execution, then double-click it to show the mockup.

Since the file name is mockup.tcl, it is tcl/tk. I have been using tcl/tk for a few years for building mockup, part of the reason is that it comes with everything: no dependency at all, no include/require statement to present the UI, hence I do not need to give a list of packages to install to prepare it; and since it is pretty hard to find anything as old as tk8.4 nowadays, there is no need to address version neither. Last reason being it is clear coded - small in size and with no compilation or linked libraries.

There are two groups I often need to communicate with. One group has little programming knowledge, and would shun me away if I give a README/INSTALL file, tcl/tk is perhaps the only script that can do for the scenario; the other group are programmers, who would shun me away if I do not give a README/INSTALL. I usually work in half-closed environment when people already trust me sending scripts to them, and few intends to infect tcl script anyway.

The only line of instruction to open it is to chmod +x it, which I left out thinking I am talking to programmers - but I was wrong again, programmers think way different. For example, now it comes to my mind, a true programmer wouldn't be easily foold into thinking .tcl is a tcl script: it's perfectly valid to embed virus written in binary wrapped into #!/bin/sh and save as .tcl.

Never used pastbin (nor git for your information) but it's okay to learn them. To me looks like the urgent issue is to break the seemingly existing
communication barrier and learn any tool for the means of communication.

Isn't global communication fun !?!?! (sorry couldn't resist the funny ;-) )
Making best use of a person's backgrounds and experiences can be half the battle. Now I learned something about tcl/tk without resorting to Google. I call that a win.

I find that the tools used to convey ideas in code are usually dependent on the group. In the case of easytag, I really can't say how "code" is conveyed. For other projects where I'm involved, pastebin and imgur are use to pass along code and images respectively without clogging up email and IRC. Again, its just how a particular group may do things.

I have seen people post diffs and other files to the easytag mailing list. I may have been a little over the top in my "security concerns". Its a trust thing to save/run a file from a public mailing list. I should have at least looked at the file before putting fingers to keyboards.

You're ideas are not being ignored. Honest! Maybe give people a few days to get back after the long weekend and up to speed.
I'll have a look at the script this weekend.

:-)
Scott