Re: buttons again

Hi Weiwu

On 2014-08-25 12:23, Zhang Weiwu <zhangweiwu realss com> wrote:
On Sun, 24 Aug 2014, Scott Furry wrote:
I've always thought of the "abc" button as "apply to all tracks". e.g. If
you are editing a few tracks and change the album name on one, clicking
the "abc" button causes the album name to be propagated to all selected
tracks".

And a keyboard short cut for "apply all" would be nice (rather than
tabbing through - if tab order is set).

Indeed, verified. How very interesting, how did you figure that out!?

I could not fathom that!

This is how I thought:

First, the button is there even if user selected only one file, hence I
could not mentally associate that button with batch operation. If I select
multiple file, and user interface changes upone the second selection, I can
for sure associate the change with the action I am doing, hence batch
operation. (Such visual cue is implemented some cloud-based file managers.)

That is a good idea, and should be a relatively easy fix. The icon could be made insensitive (or removed entirely) if there are fewer than 2 selected files.

Second, it doesn't look like something clickable. If you have not written
your OP, I never thought I can click it.

GTK+ unfortunately does not distinguish icons in entries depending on if they can be activated (although I think that this could be fixed in the GTK+ theme). I think that it is relatively common to see icons in text fields, such as a “delete text” or “search” icon, but it might not be common for them to be activatable. In Epiphany, the refresh/stop icon in the location entry is separated from the rest of the entry with a thin line, and this might help too (although the padlock icon is also activatable in this screenshot!):

https://people.gnome.org/~davidk/epiphany-location.png

Third, upon being clicked, it gives no message nor any visual cue of action,
hence I believe my click did not resolve to any action, reinforcing the idea
that it is not a button after all. Even worse, the red file remain red after
this action (despite in fact they are altered and saved), I am double sure I
did not save them.

There should be a message emitted to the log, something like “Selected files tagged with artist ‘foo’”. There are several operations with EasyTAG where this is the only feedback given (such as changing the ID3 tag version, or being unable to read a long-format date field), and I think that this is a more general problem.

Forth, it is very unlikely the author intentionally chose to avoid the
ubiquitous save symbol (a flopy disk) or confirm symbol (a check mark) and
intended to use ABC for saving, again reinforce the idea that it is not for
saving.
…

Applying a field to the selected files should not save those files, and if it does so, you found a bug.

The icon for the “apply to selected files” action is “insert-text”, and is in the freedesktop.org icon naming specification:

http://standards.freedesktop.org/icon-naming-spec/icon-naming-spec-latest.html

Of all the actions listed in the specification, it was the closest to the intent that I could find. I am loathe to deviate from the icon naming specification further (with custom icons), but there is hopefully some scope for improving the “insert-text” icon itself.

Sixth, the pop up message says: "Tag the selected files with this Year".
It is not sure if it meant "Tag THE SELECTED FILES with this Year" or "Tag
the selected files with THIS Year" or "Tag the selected files with this
YEAR". The most nature to me, is "Tag the selected files with this very year
that the ABC symbol you are clicking represents", hence I start to think
what year ABC represents and begain to expect that if I keep clicking Abc,
some year will magically pop up and fill into the Year field.  For the last
chance I failed to associate it with batch operation.

Something like “Apply this year field to the selected files” might be better. I think that the date field is especially awkward, as for other fields “Apply this artist/album/genre to the selected files” seems relatively unambiguous.

--
http://amigadave.com/