Re: [Easytag-mailing] Mailing list is working ok?

Exactly. If I understand Vorbis tags correctly then the official way of putting multiple artists etc is just having multiple instances of the same tags. Other tag formats (id3) do not support multiple entries per field. The "-" separator is a workaround for some mediaplayers (like my squeezebox).

The "-" separator also seems to be Easytag's way of entering multiple tags in the fields and I guess only for Vorbis tags they will be split up (id3v2 tags don't support for  multiple fields for one tag type).

My Squeezecenter software uses either multiple entries or a predefined separator to have for example multiple artists for one song. I use the # symbol as a separator.

Regarding a new Easytag version, ff we are going to do this, I suggest the following:

- We need to fix the maillist. Not sure why but if I send mails to the maillist it is not visible on the web archives. Anyone know why this happens? Is it moderated maybe? Who can fix this?
- We need to establish a list of new features / changes / fixes where we all agree on (suggestion below).
- Update this on svn (not sure what authorization/password someone would need for this, who manages the access currently?)
- Test the new build by some users on this list
- If tested and found working OK, publish new version (never done this, anyone know how to?)

Suggested changes (feel free to add/suggest different)

- Albumartist patch
- Compilation album (although this is an unofficial field in id3v2 and vorbis I guess there is a demand for this?)
- I think the smaller font is a good idea. Maybe a user configurable font would be nice, not sure how much work this is. For people with small (laptop) screens.
- Performance improvements for tagging lots of files (avoiding updating the GUI after each update)
- The build problem with the new id3lib !? (not sure what the exact problem is, builds go fine on my system)
- Maybe a way to strip files from garbage tags (that are not visible in Easytag). I use a small script to remove garbage such as TXXX, Windows Media (arghh), gain info, ape tags and other crap from flac or mp3 files, but it would be nice to have this as an Easytag feature.
- Feature to remove large padding (wasted space) from files. I do this now using mp3diags for mp3s and metaflac for flac files on the command line.

Regarding timelines, I would try to get a first new version with the easy-to-implement stuff within a few months from now, then moving on to the more complex stuff.

Regards
Bart

Chris Savery wrote:
Arnd,

Are you able to compile EasyTag from svn?
If so then you might try something to see how it works.

In file ogg_tag.c ( and flac_tag.c ) there is a define for MULTIFIELD_SEPARATOR near the top set to "-".

You could try changing this to something like ";" (semi colon, a less common title character) and see if you get the behaviour you want. I don't know if this would be accepted as a fix in the regular EasyTag build as I'm just new here and I also don't know if there is an Ogg standard that says "-" should be a separator. My brief reading on Wikipedia suggests there isn't really an Ogg standard for metadata fields and choosing "-" seems a little odd.

If you try that and it works well then at least you would have a working copy for yourself that doesn't break titles on "-". (I haven't tried this because I actually don't have or use Ogg files but when I saw your request I had a quick look through the code and it appears this define controls the behaviour you are having issues with).

Chris :)

Arnd wrote:
Bart Sjerps <bs xs4all nl> [Tue, 25 May 2010 12:37:09 +0200]

If it helps, I would be glad to consolidate all existing, working and
useful patches into one and create a next version of Easytag.

This would be awesome!

I'm a frequent user myself, I use a squeezebox with squeezecenter

Same here. I still use EasyTag 2.1.5 though, because of this bug:
http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=2116872&group_id=5216&atid=105216

Do you think you can eliminate this one?

Regards,
Arnd