Re: [Easytag-mailing] unicode ...

Nikolai Prokoschenko wrote:

Maybe a crazy idea, but what about using external programm to tag the
files? Taglib is nice, but it's c++'ness might be a big problem.

What problems may C++ code cause? I've used C++ code succesfully within EasyTag to support TagLib and I see no reason not to add C++ code when needed.

I've had good
results using eyeD3, a python script, which could be an interim solution
for a while, until a decent C-style library appears.

I really don't see a difference between using a C library and a C++ library. C++ compilers -- standard-supporting C++ compilers - can be found pretty much everywhere today, so we're not even adding a serious dependency to EasyTag's compilation by adding some C++ code. I've currently resumed writing the TagLib patch and have stumbled across some problem which I hope TagLib's author, Scott Wheeler, will help me resolve.

Otherwise, as someone who's coding C++ daily for 3 years now, I can say that TagLib is one of the cleanest, most solidly designed and best-documented libraries I've seen, so we're surely not making a mistake by using it.

eyeD3 looks nice, though! Thanks for the pointer!