Re: gnome-dvb-daemon vs boxstard

On Tue, 27 Apr 2010 21:33:28 +0200
Sebastian Pölsterl <sebp k-d-w org> wrote:

> Am 27.04.2010 20:58, schrieb Tony Houghton:lopers
>
> > Would the developers be willing to incorporate all of these
> > features? I don't mind having to write the code myself as long as I
> > know people are willing to accept it into the official package.
> >
> Absolutely, your suggestions all sound reasonable to me. I'd be happy
> to accept patches.
>
> If you have further questions please don't hesitate to ask.

TBH I think I'd be better off continuing with boxstard for now, because
I think it'll be quicker to "complete" that than to adapt gdd. But I
still think that in the longer term it would be better if I concentrate
on gdd instead so I'll keep an eye on it and stay subscribed to the
list.

I remembered another little technical point. Vdr and some other DVB
programs look up and save a service's PIDs when doing a channel scan. Is
that how gdd works? The trouble with this is that several channels (at
least here in the UK) are only on for part of the day (usually replaced
by another channel in the other half of the day) and their PIDs aren't
available in the PMT the rest of the time, so VDR can't tune to them
unless you've scanned at the right time of day. I think VDR's developers
are too focused on making switching channels as fast as possible, but
I've found that looking up the PMT is very fast so it's better to look
up the PIDs on demand instead of storing them.