Re: gnome-dvb-daemon vs boxstard

Hi Tony,

Am 27.04.2010 20:58, schrieb Tony Houghton:
<snip>

* The web page doesn't explicitly say that you can watch TV on a
   separate PC from the server, but I presume that it is possible, and so
   taken for granted that's the reason it isn't mentioned?

Yes it's possible. All channels can be accessed via rtsp streams, recordings are currently not streamed via rtsp. Unfortunately, those rtsp streams can only be viewed by other gstreamer-based applications because other players don't know the playload type. That's something I hope I can fix in the future so you can use whatever player you want. The reason that's not mentioned on the homepage is that I haven't tested it a lot, but it should work in theory.

* I also want to be able to use the PC as a STB, which means being able to
   control everything with a remote control without needing a full keyboard
   and mouse, so channels should be selectable by number as well as name.
   My code supports LCNs and can get them from the SI for the Freeview and
   Freesat services I can pick up in the UK, although I don't fully
   understand Freesat's system and had to "fudge" the correct assignment of
   numbers to channels which have regional variants.

DBus is used to talk to the daemon, therefore you cannot directly talk to it via the network. It may be a worthwhile goal to extend UPnP support using Rygel [1]. Watching channels and recordings is already working. As Rygel uses gstreamer, too, you could work around the player problem I mentioned above using Rygel to expose it to the UPnP world.

* Freesat's EPG (EIT schedule) is broadcast on non-standard PIDs and the
   text is Huffman-encoded.

* Does gdd support subtitles?

All the parsing and decoding is not carried out directly in gdd, but gstreamer. Therefore, you'd have to patch gstreamer elements. Regarding subtitle support, somebody started working on it [2], but it's not ported to gstreamer, yet.

Would the developers be willing to incorporate all of these features? I
don't mind having to write the code myself as long as I know people are
willing to accept it into the official package.

Absolutely, your suggestions all sound reasonable to me. I'd be happy to accept patches.

If you have further questions please don't hesitate to ask.

[1]: http://live.gnome.org/Rygel
[2]: http://github.com/leio/libdvbsub

--
Greetings,