Re: Does everyone make large objects, or is it just how I am using Dia?

Greetings, dunn!

I also learned from your sample that shapes could be in subdirectories
underneath the 'shapes' directory.

That's "normal" way of laying out shape sets. (If you peek into Dia main
directory, default sets are also separated into sub-directories.)
You can put them as deep into sub-directories, as your need demand it, if you
compose a very complex, but consistent set of shapes. If you noticed, shapes
are not referenced by their location, but by names.

--
WBR,
Andrey Repin (anrdaemon freemail ru) 30.07.2014, <14:57>

Sorry for my terrible english...