Re: Does everyone make large objects, or is it just how I am using Dia?

Greetings, dunn!

I actually didn't have any files or shapes to share because I was about
to create some, but if I have other questions, can we add an attachment
on the mailing list messages?

Yes.

I've actually been working on figuring out why the shapes are coded the
way they are.

Quite easy - to be scalable.

I copied some into my local shapes folder and couldn't figure out why my
changes would not show up.

Because they weren't listed in any sheet. Or because your shapes have
duplicate names. Or both.

It took a lot of tweaking thinking it was not having extents on the svg
part, whether line thickness were not being accepted because in some shapes
they're stated with reals, other integers, and some not at all.

In reality (pun intended), the shape measuring units are relative to the shape
itself, and bear [almost] no significance for resulting diagram.

It turns out there was something to do with the prefix on the name of the shapes.

There's no such thing as prefix.

I still couldn't state definitely what I had wrong.
It will take some more testing to figure out how the sheet file finds the
shapes (since I noticed this when I got a 'Duplicate Object" error after a
couple of hours of confusion :-!).  (My file was still showing me the one I had
copied even though I had created a new sheet and renamed the shape. Sheesh!)

https://git.gnome.org/browse/dia/plain/doc/custom-shapes

I haven't really used Dia before trying to customize it though, and it
wasn't until I had made my first shape that I learned everything is
brought in at the same size anyway.  (It would be nice to learn we can
change this with Python on insertion or something!)

Yes.

--
WBR,
Andrey Repin (anrdaemon freemail ru) 26.07.2014, <06:49>

Sorry for my terrible english...