[ANN] Dia Python plugin for Postgres

Greetings fellow Diaistas,

I had a need for designing database diagrams in Dia and importing/exporting them to Postgres. I tried some of the existing solutions and was never quite satisfied with them so in the end I wrote my own.

It's pretty freshly baked, I only finished the first cut of it last night and I'm no Python expert but here it is in all its glory:

https://github.com/chebizarro/postdia

A few points to make before I get around to documenting it properly:

What it does:

- it will import a database from a Postgres server and create a UML diagram which is, for the most part, based on the tedia2sql format -
http://tedia2sql.tigris.org/usingtedia2sql.html
There is a sample Dia file included which was generated by the plugin.

- it will export a UML diagram based on the above specification to a Postgres compatible SQL file.

What it doesn't do yet:

- Upload to the server directly. The idea is to either allow database creation for new schema or to diff against an existing one.

What it will probably never do:

- Import from an SQL file. That's some voodoo that I don't really want to mess with for now. It would be an interesting exercise in being able to use Dia as an intermediary between different SQL formats but...

- Work for other Databases such as MySQL or SQLite. Not that I have anything against them, I just don't use them. Feel free to read through my poorly written Python code and figure out if you can adapt it. Fork it or push me the changes if you feel so inclined.

I will be doing some heavy lifting with the plugin for my own purposes so I will probably be doing a few bug fixes and polishing it over that time but if someone on this list has a need for such a plugin and finds bugs or has suggestions, by all means hit me up.

Keep on plotting
Chris D

--
Chris Daley

e: chebizarro gmail com
s: chebizarro
tw: chebizarro
"There is no way to peace — peace is the way" - A.J. Muste