Re: eye-icon

At 13.04.2013 15:28, Andrey Repin wrote:
Greetings, vwf!

This window can be confusing. One improvement can be the use of two
icons for active/off (gray-out), instead of switching an icon on/off.

If you're familiar with GIMP, you won't have any confusion.
May be a small addition to the list control tool, to make all layers
visible/hidden (and one more to reset linking states back to current layer
only for all layers) would help.

Toggling on/off for all the other layers is done by shift-click (like in GIMP and as described in Dia' manual for layer visibility).

In that same window the arrow-icon on/off remains a confusing event for
me: when I select a layer, other icons switch on/off in respons.

This is intentionally: by default only the active layer's objects are connectable.
This is a long-standing issue. Me, personally, I would prefer the link states
be stored for each layer separately.

They are stored for every layer separately, see:
https://git.gnome.org/browse/dia/tree/lib/diagramdata.h#n107

Finally, it can be very hard to find out on which layer an item is.

Maybe the diagram tree would help?

Depends, what you are doing with your diagram.

No problem with two layers, but my current diagram has 6 and when I placed
an item on the wrong layer it requires some layer on/off switching to
find out on what layer it went.

Same is true for many other programs that use layers.

Or to rephrase that: what would be your idea to improve the situation?