Re: How to change page size to selection size <SOLVED WITH WORKAROUND>

On Sat, 13 Apr 2013 19:38:16 +0200
Hans Breuer <hans breuer org> wrote:

At 11.04.2013 06:26, Steve Litt wrote:
On Wed, 10 Apr 2013 23:43:02 +0200
Hans Breuer<hans breuer org>  wrote:

At 10.04.2013 20:48, Steve Litt wrote:
[...]

As you know, previous Dia versions had a "size to selection"
button for page size, but current versinos got rid of that
feature.[...]

You said that before and apparently are not aware of my answer:
https://mail.gnome.org/archives/dia-list/2013-February/msg00031.html

It does not become more true by prefixing that statetment with "As
you know". At least I am not aware of any "size to selection"
button having been available in Dia in the last twelve years.
Please be more specific what you did before - especially how - and
what is not working anymore in which version.

I'll tell you what Hans,

I'll go to the not inconsiderable trouble of:

1) Find a spare computer
2) Find a copy of Ubuntu 10.04 or whatever
3) Take a complete set of screenshots of the facility to size the
page to selection
4) Make the screenshots available to the list

I'll do all that if you promise to put back the functionality that
the screenshots reveal.

The only thing I can promise it that I wont try to fix something that
I dont understand.
I have a lot of Dia versions readily available for testing, but I
simply cant imaginge where you have seen the button you are talking
about. Maybe you had a custom script or plug-in providing all the
"facility to size the page to selection"?
Also I'm not interested at all in screenshots, so please dont bother
to create these. Especially not from something which was never part
of an official Dia version. Screenshots wont help you to get the
feature back. Finding the source of that feature might.

Whoops. I'm wrong. You're right. Sorry.

I had forgotten how I REALLY used dia back in the old days. I did
further research and found that this "size to selection" property was
in Inkscape, not dia.

I used to export dia to svg and then resize the drawing in Inkscape
before converting to .pdf. In order that it size correctly, I'd put a
tiny translucent circle just upper left and lower right of the dia
drawing, in order that the finished .pdf's borders wouldn't touch the
lines of the drawing itself. Then I ran it through my dia2pdf script:

==============================
#!/bin/bash
dianame=$1
gname=`echo $dianame | sed -e "s/\..*$//"`
pdfname=$gname.pdf
echo Converting $dianame to $pdfname
inkscape --export-area-drawing --export-pdf=$pdfname $dianame
acroread $pdfname

I'm sorry that my forgetting how I converted caused me to claim a lost
dia feature that never existed.

Thanks,

SteveT