Re: Non-standard Dia use: Visualisation

At 26.01.2012 09:06, Evgeniy Philippov wrote:
Hello Dia developers and other developers,

I'd like to use the Dia codebase as a means for object graph/hypergraph
visualization of external models-
So you don't want to use Dia's internal model (diagram, layers, objects)?

--i.e. to display graphs/hypergraphs
pointers to which are received from outside plugins via the same RAM.
BTW: what's an "outside plugin"? Something not included with standard Dia?
Or something running outside of Dia? Or without Dia?

Maybe
Dia architecture could evolve to allow such use without forking Dia into
another project. (I didn't study Dia's architectural documents yet.)

Sorry I don't understand the architectural model you have in mind. It might be either developing a plugin for Dia or ripping out some subset of Dia functionality to be reused in another application. What would you be "forking into another project"?

I.e. Dia display routines would be controlled from outside plugin, and this
plugin would instruct Dia to display this hypergraph or another hypergraph,
according to plugin's control over the Dia display and over Dia functioning.

There are Dia plugins controlling what Dia is displaying called renderers. Other Dia plugins are able to create and modify diagrams - e.g. import plugins, but also the recently added layout plugin. And on the core of all there are object plugins providing the building blocks for diagrams, mapping properties to recipes for drawing.

What do Dia developers think about such use and Dia project team's
allowability of such use?

As I said I'm uncertain about what you are looking for, but neither enabling external (as in out of tree) plugins nor prodividing a diagramming library are partcular high on my own personal list.

HTH,
        Hans