Re: Dia and images

Jorgen,

I rarely print a Dia.  I always arrange the visible screen and create a png or jpg.  Then this image may be incorporated into nearly any other program.  It is by far the most flexible method.  If I am posting to a WIKI this the method you describe is exactly mine as well.  Hard to believe that WIKI software doesn't support Dia directly, it would be a perfect match -allowing anyone to create diagrams when authoring a WIKI entry.

Maintaining the associativity of files is a big task in any program that combines individual  creations - it is a big job to handle this. I am thinking of the various enterprise softwares I have used such as Metaphase, and the CAD programs Pro/E and Solidworks where a large and complex standalone utility manages the associations and applies version control.   This method does not force too much involvement with the underlying creator programs.  SVN?

The embedding of objects requires tying the development of a programs to those other sources - great if you have lots of human resource to manage it.  Someone like Microsoft can dictate to other programs how to maintain embedded-ness, but a smaller group like Dia has no control over the myriad of image making softwares.

Wouldn't it be nice also to embed video into Dia along with complete hypertext support?  Perhaps even record animation?  Create Dia workspace portals for presentation programs like PowerPoint (nasty bit of software that).  Direct access to spreadsheets within Dia.  Support for Flash?  I gather people monkey around with databases and Dia.

It sounds great, but I am happy to have a program that draws so well, despite imagined deficiencies.

Mike