Re: Dia: Why is it so hard to do simple things? dia-list Digest, Vol 89, Issue 7

Greetings, Cristian Secara!

2. Zooming requires Ctrl key to be held. Which is exceptionally
annoying combined with issue #1.

It seems that Dia uses the same configuration as some other programs
(like GIMP, Visio and other that I don't recall now), which I
personally like and find very productive:
wheel alone = vertical scroll
shift + wheel = horizontal
scroll ctrl + wheel = zoom

It's productive, when you're working with text editing and electronic tables
(Like Word/Excel/Writer/Calc), or a vertical diagram, where your information
flow is primarily vertical. Then yes, you want to scroll up/down mostly, and
rarely need to zoom.
But when your diagram spans unbounded, the requirement to hold arbitrary keys
to move around becoming a constraint.
The GIMP copied text-editing programs behavior blindly, that's why you will
find it's default behavior the same. Thankfully, it is possible to reset it to
more productive free zooming.

(one day I will try to run Dia on Linux, just for curiosity about the
zooming behavior there in native GTK environment)

Doubt it's not the same.

--
WBR,
Andrey Repin (anrdaemon freemail ru) 13.09.2011, <16:05>

Sorry for my terrible english...